Qnap New TS-264 & tons of questions on QNAP SW & problems in setup

bhirsch

Nouveau membre
2 Janvier 2024

Bonjour, je peux lire le français mais c'est un peu difficile d'écrire en français donc j'espère que le forum est d'accord avec un message en anglais.

I am new to QNAP with a TS -264 under the christmas tree. I had a synology some years ago and was aware that QNAP SW would be less integrated and user-friendly but I thought I could handle it and preferred the HW advantage over Synology. The setup up went okay so far but now I have some questions I can't see answered here in the forum:

- I want to setup a folder structure like user XX, Multimedia, backup … with subfolders for each user in backup up for the users’s iphone & Mac backup/
But it seems shared folders can only be root folders and only shared folders can have TIMEMACHINE flag.. so it seems no way to create a structure

Backup/ Timemachine User 1
Backup/ Timemachine User 2
Backup/ Timemachine User 3

- I want to backup the Iphone& Ipads of my wife & me but I understand the Qumagie does only backup photos / video and that there is no full iphone backup option / software ?

- Even in the Qumagie iphone backup it seems this is only one way , so the SW always upload iphone photos to NAS, but when I delete photos on the iphone they stay in the NAS ?
Is there any way / sw for a true two-way sync of the iphone photos (delete photo on Iphone will delete photo on NAS) ?

- I have a big lightroom RAW & JPEG folder structure with 37.000 photos, how can I avoid that Thumbnails are created for only this folder (which is in user / LR, not in the Multimedia folder but looks like the Multimedia console creates thumbnails for this folder / content what I dont want to not use space for 37000 Thumbnails ?

- I have now many education videos on the NAS , but Qumagie displays them all only as thumbnail .. is there an option to get the video in a list view by file name ?

- I want to sync / auto-backup certain folders from my Mac under the NAS user folder for me , but it seems that Qsynch is only folder synch into a specific Qsynch folder ?
Is there a way to sync folders from Mac into the same folder structure into a NAS user folder like Bjoern/Sync Mac /Tax, Bjoern/Sync Mac /House etc and than the same with different folders into the NAS user folder of my wife from her MAC?

Last question is on speed, I use both 2.5GB ports in Trunk mode with a 2.5GB switch and a Mac connected with a 2.5 GB ethernet cable. What is the correct transfer speed I would expect with 2x WD 6TB red pro drives and would it make sense to update the 2.5 GB mac adapter to an 10/5 GB adapter to benefit from the 5GB trunk or no need as overall speed to one mac is limited to 2.5GB due to 2.5GB switch ?

I plan for the future to update the QNAP to a 10GB port , and a 10 GB switch for direct working on the NAS with my photo edit app (Lightroom) and adding 2x SSD drives as “working folder”

So that’s for now and thanks a lot for any suggestions, tips and help … I need to say even after watching tons of QNAP videos the SW is really not straight forward.

Thanks